Ruby Blooms

Monday, December 9, 2013

My Kitchen Monday: Persimmon Salsa

So last week was my first week using the Fresh 20 recipes. I started out on Monday using parsnips. Unfortunately I found out that I do not like parsnips, but that was one of the points of why I wanted to try the Fresh 20 was to try new things. Another side item that we tried was the Persimmon Salsa. I have never tried persimmon before so it was a little bit challenging knowing what makes a good persimmon. The salsa was actually quite good except by the 2nd day after making it the fruit was pretty mushy so I would suggest only making enough for the day or the next but after that it is done! Persimmon is a mild, sweet fruit and I think I would be willing to make the salsa again, but it is hard to beat a good mango salsa (the persimmon salsa can be substituted with orange slices.)
The salsa had persimmons, roasted aneheim chiles, onion, lime, salt, and cilantro.
We also were able to try a new posole recipe that was good and stuffed cabbage with a chunky tomato sauce that I tweaked to make my own which was REALLY good!
Overall, I am really liking this fresh 20 schedule of meals, it makes cooking more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment