Ruby Blooms

Monday, June 24, 2013

Mexican food Monday

If you know me well you know that I am not a huge fan on seafood. I didn't eat fish very often growing up. I never liked the fishy taste or the "spongy" texture of almost all seafood I tried. After moving to somewhere where fish and seafood is fresh, everyone told me that the reason I probably didn't like fish was because the fish I tried wasn't fresh and that is why I didn't like it.
We went to a friends house last weekend and had grilled shrimp. I didn't want to be rude and say that i don't like seafood so i ate it. I actually liked the taste! It still was a little bit spongy but the taste was good so that I could forget about the strange texture. I decided to make it for for us on our own. I found a recipe for shrimp and decided to use it for my new recipe of the week. I also bought "Rockfish" which is supposed to be like tilapia but since they didn't have tilapia they recommended Rockfish. It's supposed to be a less fishy tasting fish and takes on the flavor of what you're cooking it with.
This is before you add cream, when you set flame to the tequila
My new recipe is again from Pati's Mexican Table. I just bought her cookbook so hopefully the recipes in the book are as good as her blog recipes. I tried the tequila, chipotle cream shrimp. I didn't have the Mexican cream so I used Cowgirl Creamery creme fraiche which was recommended online if you didn't have mexican Rio Grande crema. I know next time I will try to buy the shrimp deveined and the shells to be already removed because it takes quite a while for an inexperienced shrimp eater to remove. It was quite a job! I had my husband stand by as I lit the flame to take the alcohol away from the tequila. I was afraid that I would light the house on fire... Or my eyebrows!!!! But no accidents happened, thank goodness haha! Overall we both again liked the recipe and I like that I am learning to use my can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce since I would buy a can for making Tinga and then it would just sit forever in the fridge. I have found some other recipes using it so those recipes are to come in the future :)(http://www.patismexicantable.com/2012/10/tequila_mexican_cre/)

No comments:

Post a Comment