Ruby Blooms

Friday, June 3, 2011

Interview

I finally had my first interview for a full time position. I had just sent the application about a week ago and they called me for a group interview. At the time I really didn't know what they meant. I figured it was like the one I had for Early Head Start where there were 4 or 5 people from the program that interviewed me at the same time. I have to admit at first I didn't even want to apply, it looked like it would be an emotionally draining place to work and I just didn't know if I wanted to have a job that I couldn't wait to find something else. But, I decided I would since Antonio was encouraging me to just apply since a girl he works with used to be a receptionist there and said if I got an interview she would put in a good word for me.
So I went to the interview thinking that I need to be positive because this may turn into something I might really enjoy. When they told me it was going to be a group interview they meant that there was going to be 5 other girls applying for the same or different position all sitting together around 1 big table. It was nice because it felt like everyone was just answering questions when they wanted to but it also made it hard to know who the interviewer liked and didn't like.  So, I really don't know how well I did but as I heard who I would be working with I gradually thought that it really was not the job for me.
The center is for children who have been abused, neglected, or have been in foster homes multiple times and have no where else to go because no one else will take them. The center is for severely emotionally disturbed children. I would have chose to work with the preschoolers ages 2-6 and she said that we would have to be ok with children biting, spitting, hitting us, and we would have to learn how to hold a child down if they were out of control and causing harm to themselves. My heart goes out to those little kids but I believe that it takes a certain type of person to be able to work with children like that. I am sad that parents are neglectful and are not responsible parents but I'm not sure if I am the one to work with those children. I was thinking maybe 2-6 year olds wouldn't be that bad, I maybe would get bit once in a while or something but there is hope to change those little ones but the more I thought about it...I don't want someone to bite or hit me. I have thought about if I am chosen for a 2nd and 3rd interview I would go and see what happens and if offered the job to just take it so I can make some extra money until I find something I enjoy but they don't really pay that much, they actually pay less than what I was making in Nebraska. Which is really bad in California since the cost of living is higher! So, the search is still on unfortunately! But thought I would keep you all updated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment